
It's been forever since I posted.... I almost have forgotten what I'm supposed to do.
Since Thursday, I've been attending a women's conference at my church. It's been absolutely incredible. One of the highlights, was hearing MeRa Koh. If you haven't seen her on the Nate Berkus show or heard of her she's a photographer and one of the most authentic people you'll ever here. I'm posting this link to her blog post Do Kids Feel Invisible When We Take Their Photo?
Read the article and check out the youtube post which is way too cute!
At the conference MeRa Koh talked about living the creative adventurous life that God has designed for us. Adventure meaning risk taking. And how often am I wanting to play it safe? I wonder if our version of safe is actually more harmful for us... it keeps us from going where we are destined to go... it keeps us warm and happy and probably a bit shallow too. And, that happiness that's really our own created version of happiness... but what's around the corner, and what joy in the journey would I be missing?
I'm not sure I ever heard anyone speak so authentic and real... she certainly didn't have an easy journey getting to the place of living an authentic life. I think sometime pain in itself is the very thing that is needed to grow deeper and something we can't ignore. I know from my experiences... the very situations that were the most painful are the ones that have shaped me to be better.
This weekend I'm looking at where I need to think outside the box. It may be time to color the canvas a bit!
I have been reading about the children of the WWII children, and how the Wartime trauma of the parents has affected the children of my generation. Gosh, risk taking is definitely not in our vocabulary and yet, Chris and I did do that quite a bit. So I am wondering what it is what makes some people take crazy risks and others simply none. ???
ReplyDeleteReaction to the same thing? Overprotective parents?
Just wondering and by the way you are not a no risk taker! I would call you a calculated risk taker! :-) You have grown a lot in that area! You married somebody from a different country, you went for some time to Australia and you stayed in Dallas! Those were all risks..... I think you just need to explore the risktaking in some other areas of you life, thats all... me too... lets remind one another of that once in a while, ok???
sounds good! check out the links for mera koh. I think you would really love her work about children and photography!
DeleteDagmar, I'm really interested in hearing what you're reading about in this book. That is so interesting about the relation to risk taking. I think that might be something that your dual citizenship has taught you - take more risks like Americans tend to! Very interesting. Is that a German book, for German children of WWII children?
DeleteYup sure is. ONly now there are books discussing this issue...for all this time nobody talked about it. Its not easy to corporately as a nation work through all this. I think there needs to be a discussion in america about it for all the kids of parents who were fugitives from Germany or other wartorn areas and kids from the Gi's from all the different wars! It is affecting all those families and their children..... for several generations. Talk to your Grandma Alison, didn't she have stories from the bombing in London????
DeleteI really like this post. I think people tend to take "risks" we feel comfortable with and don't take the ones we can't fathom. I've learned that if you can fathom something, you can do it! like i can't fathom scuba diving and I don't want to do it! but I can fathom things like driving a race car, so maybe i need to join nascar. :) haha! anyway, i liked the links and the invisible children post. i'm not a photo taker, but this gives me good ideas to maybe take a "risk" and take some dang pictures of my children!!!! :):):)
ReplyDelete