I recently read Kisses from Katie. I haven't been moved by a book to that extent in a long time. Let's just say, I was reading so intently while waiting for jury duty that I caught myself tearing up in the courthouse! Without getting into all the details of the book, it's basically about a girl who is serving in Uganda and boy is she ever serving.
In recent days, I've been thinking about the Ugandan children. I can't get them out of my mind actually, and just pondering about our life in the western world. (Personal wealth but spiritual poverty.) We don't realize how easy we have it. We don't. And, even when we consider the differences I suspect unless you live that lifestyle it's just a fleeting thought of what others have to go through.
I've always wanted to pursue missions/some type of humanitarian work but the reality is you must first bloom where you are planted. You must give of yourself to your neighbor, the person on the train station, to your colleague. You must give of yourself to someone regardless of their wealth and possessions (though I know there is a Biblical mandate to take care of the poor, etc.)
Anyhow, I recently picked up a sewing when a friend gave me her machine. I've made several aprons and gave as gifts and recently a baby quilt for a friend... I really enjoy sewing because I find it therapeutic yet I'm a beginner... it's not like I can make all sorts of fancy things. And even that pic of the quilt i posted, it's a pretty basic quilt.
Anyhow, I keep coming back to the fact that I physically want to do more on a global level. Not just give my money to fund a cause. Giving money can be easy... but you should also give of your talents and time. Then, I stumbled on this site.... Little Dresses for Africa there is a whole organization that utilizes volunteers to sew pillowcase dresses that are brought to Africa and actually distributed all over the world, including the US. Bloom where you are planted, right? Using your time, talent, and treasure... well, I don't have tons of talent in sewing but if I can make some aprons and a quilt I can surely make some pillowcase dresses for some orphans in need.
I'm sure I'll do some other projects as well but I definitely want to do this. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll bring my little dresses to Africa myself!

No comments:
Post a Comment