I'm really enjoying our local library and with my new venture to take the train more often I'm trying to utilize that time to get some extra reading in.
The truth is somehow my favorite kind of reading is self help. I don't know why... but while others are getting lost in novels, I get sucked into some book about how my life can get better of sorts.
Gail Banke's book, "Throw Out 50 Things" is a pretty charming read. She talks about having a mom who always made her get rid of excess baggage. Her theory is if you throw out 50 things, 50 DIFFERENT things - not multiples of the same thing. That by the time you 50 (which in reality you will have thrown away 100's of items) that you'll begin to mentally throw away some of the emotional baggage that's been weighing you down. She also says you must write down the 50 items to achieve a true art of letting go.
The book begins with her talking you through every room in your house. She gives tips on organizing and arranging and the latter part of the book talks about letting go of your emotional past, etc. (I haven't read that part yet.)
I decided that as I'm organizing and finally getting settled into our house I'd try her challenge. We'll see at the end of it all if it did any good.
Here's my list so far. I started with the kitchen... remember multiples of each item only counts as one!
1. Trashed tons of old spices
2. Donated old dishes.
3. coffee pot
4. let go of about 25 brass knobs from our cabinets
5. got rid of multiple frying pans and pots
6. removed all our wallpaper!
Only 44 more to go!
And, while we're getting rid of some things. Here's something new we brought in our house...
Meet Coco... stay tuned for doggie updates. We have her on trial but I think we're probably keeping her... ;)
So where is the pic for the kitchen all done????? Pics!!!!
ReplyDelete@Dagmar.... Not done yet.
ReplyDelete